Monkey Throw Dart: Right Side Positioning

Friday, January 2, 2009

Right Side Positioning

The end of the year 'buy' signal was very timely especially after an 8 and change % gain today. The impulse is to take the profits but I will have to get used to holding while on the right side of the trade...to a point. A buy in the QLD at $26.45 yields a 10.6% gain as the market held up all day driving the QLD to $29.26. Of course, letting it ride takes too much will power so I had to use my mechanical stop after + 8% was reached. This locks in 4% which may be a little tight with these 2X exchange traded funds. Remember that I was holding an earlier buy at $27. I'll try to give this big fish a little more line and hope for the key +20% level at which point I would reel it in.

It's OK to hope when you're on the right side of the trade.