Monkey Throw Dart: Return of the Stock Screener From the Black Lagoon

Friday, February 25, 2011

Return of the Stock Screener From the Black Lagoon

creature

A while back I had run a stock screener that finds an imbalance (there's that word again) between buy /sell volume and low relative strength. When it looks like volume has shifted to the buy side and the relative strength is in single digits, it may signal a reversal if the market is willing.

I thought that now might be a good time to re-test this because even if there is mass exodus from the market this afternoon, or the market rebounds and starts moving up again, much can be learned about this less than perfect screener.

The title of the screener should be enough to steer clear, and just allow a monkey to think out loud. Quoting Arlo Guthrie for the hundredth time..." I'm not proud, or tired".

The following list represents stocks that show some buy volume yesterday that exceeds sell volume by enough to get my attention. Relative strength for these stock are also at the bottom of the barrel, but the recent historical price action has been in a range or uptrending.

I would be willing to hold these for a couple of weeks, and I won't get greedy so I'll try to get a stop in after an 8% gain.

HST, Host Hotels and Resorts, $17.94; target $19.37
POL, PolyOne Corp, $13.36; target $14.42
VSCP, Virtual Scopics. $2.21; target $2.39

When posting the final results, I'll use the opening price from today in case any of these gap up.