Monkey Throw Dart: Planes, Trains, and Hyperloops

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Planes, Trains, and Hyperloops


As I said at least once before, jumping on the Tesla Motors bandwagon might not be a good idea since my price is still a respectable $60 per share, and that's where I think it will be by the end of the year.  Sounds like another regrettable prediction.  Unluckily for me, I do track those things.

 


More important than some "slightly" over-inflated individual stock (in an over-inflated market), I find Elon Musk's Hyperloop an idea I would gladly invest in. 

 Elon says that the Hyperloop is a "cross between a Concorde, a railgun and an air hockey table." and that the Hyperloop is "something that can never crash, is immune to weather, it goes 3 or 4 times faster than the bullet train."  He also gives an idea of just how fast this would be stating that a commuter would go from downtown LA to downtown San Francisco in under 30 minutes. 

 DJ, an all-around good guy and the maestro of "all things physics" found a use for his speedometer app on his trip from Kyoto to Tokyo recently...



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AioUJkLj2E4

Impressive, but the Hyperloop would make the Shinkansen look like it was standing still.

Of course, the Hyperloop is no Transporter of the Star Trek variety, but one must run before one walks.  Not true?  Isn't that what little human people do?

 
(Imagine all of the "epic fail" videos that would flood YouTube once the Transporter makes its debut.  Yikes.  Accidentally beaming someone between walls or into a group of unsuspecting pedestrians.  Oh, the Horror!).

I'd post a picture of the Hyperloop but no one knows what it looks like yet, except maybe Elon Musk. 

One quote from Elon caught my attention.  He said, "Maybe I should patent it and open-source the patent to anyone who can make a credible case that they can do it."  When monkeys finally take over this planet Elon is welcome to dwell amongst the chosen ones.  He would be in good company since I think that only the Dali Lama has received that invitation.

 Shares of Tesla Motors (TSLA) might be flying high right now, but where can I buy shares of Elon Musk


South African Exchange?